This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
The Clinical Manager is responsible for overseeing the clinical programs of the pharmacy department. This position will utilize Steward Health Care resources to provide safe and effective clinical pharmacy programs at the hospital. This position will assist the Director of Pharmacy to assure all legal, regulatory, and accrediting requirements are maintained at the best demonstrated practice and assure clinical pharmacy services and activities are carried out to meet goals and standards of Steward Health Care. In the absence of the Director of Pharmacy, the Clinical Manager will be required to assume the essential responsibilities and perform the duties of the Director of Pharmacy.
The Clinical Manager will serve as an active member of the pharmacy management team providing leadership for clinical programs, formulary management, cost containment programs, and improved pharmacoeconomic outcomes; build and enhance professional relationships with pharmacy staff, other healthcare providers, and management; communicate effectively with pharmacy staff; and maintain a professional presence throughout the hospital.
- Provide clinical support and direction to the Director of Pharmacy (DOP) and pharmacy staff in the hospital regarding the implementation and operation of clinical pharmacy programs. This includes: direct discussions and dialogue with all health care professionals in the hospital; providing pharmaceutical care to selected patients; and developing drug therapy review programs and documenting their results
- Assist with the leadership of the hospital P&T committee, assuring (but not limited to) the following items are part of the committee meetings: current drug trends, formulary additions, formulary deletions, annual formulary approval, non-formulary drug use, drug shortages, cost control initiatives, updates to the Policy and Procedure manual, annual review of order sets and protocols, black box warning, ADR reporting, pharmacy intervention reporting, controlled substance audit reporting, automation reporting.
- Actively participates and when required helps to develop an Antimicrobial Stewardship program in conjunction with multidisciplinary team members. Develop and implement treatment guidelines, protocols, formulary changes and critical pathways as approved and authorized by appropriate committees
- Participate in hospital committee meetings as necessary to enhance practice and patient care
- Assists in meeting or exceeding all Accreditation Bodies (TJC, DNV, CMS, BOP) standards related to pharmacy
- Participates in the development and maintenance of information systems and other technology applications within the Pharmacy
- Use Econotherapeutic best practices in formulary and cost control
- Use Steward Health Care applications to analyze data and manage clinical initiatives
- Facilitate the identification, resolution, implementation and communication of cost-effective drug use issues in collaboration with the medical staff
- Document activities in accordance with Clinical Monthly Report requirements
- Design, implement, maintain clinical pharmacy quality activities
- Design, implement, and maintain medication safety program activities
- Achieve acceptable scores on clinical assessments/audits (PPA, Accreditation, BOP, etc)
- Assist with the management of staff pharmacists, students and interns
- Participate in the assessment and evaluation of pharmacists
- Contributes to and conducts hospital and pharmacy orientation for new hires within 60 days
- Develop and implement a clinical training and competency program for pharmacists and maintain records of those completed competencies
- Assure approval of MUE criteria, perform MUE, and report results in committee meetings
- Coordinate vendor activity to support formulary decisions
- Assists with leading departmental meetings, in-services, and quality improvement programs
- Maintains all required training and education per department requirements
- Participates in the development and presentation of orientation, education, and training programs to the pharmacy, medical, nursing, and other staffs
- Train and educate pharmacy staff to provide pharmaceutical care and any new or important new clinical pharmacy concepts
- Publish educational materials directed at hospital health care professionals
- Direct and coordinate clinical clerkship programs for pharmacy and other health care professional trainees
- Adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Complies with all requirements related to risk management, safety, security, fire, and infection control. Complies with all applicable state, local and federal regulations
- Scholarly Activity - Contribute to the advancement of the pharmacy profession and Steward Health Care through presentation and publication. Participate in continuing education programs that maintain or improve skills in providing pharmaceutical care. Participate in research that is within the scope of pharmaceutical care and/or pharmacoeconomics. Review clinical literature that is supportive for all clinical pharmacy goals and programs
- Assists in maintaining Automated Dispensing Machine databases according to assigned template.